Here I draw in the two figures, using the reference photo and drawing freehand. I use a proportional divider to check the accuracy of the drawing
Now I block in the background, using ultramarine blue as my base color.
I paint in the Mother's jeans with Ultramarine Blue and Payne's Gray.
I paint in the blouse with Cobalt Blue.
I add detailing to the blouse.
I paint in the leggings with Cerulean Blue.
The flower pattern is painted in.
Legging Details 2
I rework the legging's flower pattern, trying to make it look more like the photo.
I paint in the Mother's blouse, using Dioxazine Purple.
Flesh Tones 1
I begin painting in the skin tones, using Cadmium Orange as a base.
Skin Tones 2
I continue working on the skin, adding depth and detail.
I finish up the skin tones, add hair to the child, and make a few small touch ups to other areas, such as the background. Finally, a single coat of satin varnish is applied.
The photo of the finished painting was done with a Pentax K-50. All 'in progress' photos taken with my iPhone.
all images © 2016 Jay Trefethen